Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Oatmeal Cream Pies

(from "The Amish Cook's Baking Book")

These were amazing. So amazing that the only way I could make them is if I sent them all away with Tyson to work. Thanks to all the brown sugar, these cookies are soft and get even softer as they sit out.

Ingredients:

3/4 cups unsalted butter, softened
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups quick cooking rolled oats
2 teaspoons baking soda
3 tablespoons boiling water

Cream:
1 1/2 cups butter cream frosting
1 1/2 cups marshmallow cream fluff stuff

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet and set aside (or use parchment)
Cream the butter, sugar, and eggs in a large.
In a separate bowl, sift together the salt, flour, and baking powder. Add to the reamed mixture.
Add the cinnamon and oats. Mix well.
In a small dish, add the baking soda to the boiling water, and then stir the mixture into the rest of the batter. Mix well.
Drop by tablespoons onto the baking sheet about 2 inches apart and bake until the cookies are firm and just starting to turn golden around the edges, 10 to 15 minutes. (what??!!! I cooked mine for 6-8 minutes, and they were perfect)
Cool the cookies on a wire rack.

For the cream filling. Mix the butter cream frosting and marshmallow fluff with a beater for 1-2 minutes.

* I am not sure what the cook book actually used for the cream filling, I forgot to write it down. So I came up with my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment